The Department of Education
The University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC) was created in 1989 by the Parliament and the Government of the Canary Islands. It was decided that the University School of Teacher Traiing of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (the heir of the Escuela Normal Elemental de Maestros created in 1853), as other university centers of the province (a responsibility until then of the University of La Laguna), be seconded to the recent university, thereafter there were created the different departments of the ULPGC. Teachers training of Didactic and School Organization and Theory and History Education areas, decided to create their own department with the name of the Department of Education.
Previously, while the Teaching School belonged to the University of La Laguna, there existed within a Seminar on Pedagogy, to whom belong teachers from the educational areas. Afterwards, once created the university departments in accordance with the University Reform Law (LRU, 1983), this seminar began to be a section of the Educational and Behavior Assessment Department of the University of La Laguna. It was an exciting and fruitful time because of the frequent contact that the faculty of both universities maintained.
Since the creation of the Department of Education in the new ULPGC, this progress increased the number of teachers and the quality of their education. Achieving a doctoral degree and increasing the number of investigation projects stimulated the motivation. Since then and until now, the department followed a constant line of improvement and education.
Currently, 32 teachers are teaching and developing investigations related to the three areas of knowledge: Didactic and School Organization, Theory and History Education and Research Methods in Education. All this within the context of the degrees that are offered and the management that is developed in the Faculty of Teacher Training, the Faculty of Physical Activity and Sports and the Teletraining Structure of the ULPGC.